Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Sadie's birth

Sadie came to this world in a whirlwind. Before I could process what was happening I had my baby girl in my arms! But fast is better then long and slow like my last labor! I knew she would come on January 9th. Since I was 99% positive of the day of conception the 9th was the actual due date so she really came right on time;) We went to bed at 10pm on Sunday night and right as I was falling asleep I felt my first contraction. I have been having contractions for weeks now but this one was different, and I knew I'd be going into labor soon. At 11:30pm Isaac woke me up because he needed to go potty. When I was up with him I started counting my contractions and they were exactly 5 minutes apart. So I went and sat in the front room and my contractions were 3-5 minutes until about 2am and then they went to 2-4 minutes at 2:30 I went back into my room and accidentally woke Brock up, once he was awake he was like alright let's go! should we go now? But I wasn't ready to go in yet so we waited one more hour and then he said alright I can't take it I'm getting stuff ready lets go. So we got everything packed up and ready to go and then got the boys up and headed to my parents house a little after 4am. We dropped them off and then I still was nervous about going into the hospital, I just hate being strapped to the hospital bed and Luke's birth of 16 hours of strapped to the bed were still fresh in my mind. So we went to Walmart:) and walked around, got some snacks. And then we headed to the hospital, got checked in by 5:30am. My contractions still weren't hurting that bad but they were every 3 minutes or so, the nurse checked me and I was dilated to a 7! Which I was shocked about! So they called my DR he came and broke my water at 6:31am. They called the anesthesiologist to come give me my epidural, I started feeling some serious contractions after my water was broke. Brock kept saying go natural you can do it! ha! those contractions were killing and I was like no way give me my epidural! So he came in about 15 minutes later and started working on my epidural which took 20 minutes to get inserted. And I was having serious contractions by then one after another and he said alright about 30 minutes and you wont feel a thing. Well all of a sudden I was like I need to push NOW! The nurse checked me and was like your a 9 1/2 do you want to wait a minute so the epidural sets in? And I said I can't I have to push right now! So the DR came in everything got set up. I pushed a few times (seriously the most intense pain of my life!!) And then at 7:31am (exactly 1 hour after my water broke) there was a baby on my lap, a beautiful dark haired baby girl! And I felt immensely better! Those 30 minutes of pain were amazingly painful, but crazy fast!! And about 10 minutes after she was born my epidural started kicking in! Wow what a waste of 1500$ that was!! Plus the best part of going natural would be being able to get up and not be numb right after the babies born! So they hurried and took my epidural out right after she was born but the medicine was already in my system, so I was numb and now I was mad about it! It went away pretty quick within a couple hours I was all the way back to normal. But still I am not happy about getting an epidural the last 25 minutes of labor. I just didn't think it possible that I could have her THAT fast! So will I go natural next time? I don't know...I'm not planning on having another baby for quite awhile, so I don't know how I'll feel about it by then. It was pain unlike anything I've ever felt but it was way fast!

Now comes the real fun, I head home in the morning with 3 kids! Wow, crazy...But I really feel like Sadie is supposed to be here, and I am so happy to welcome her to our family. It's amazing how much I love this little baby girl already!

p.s. We obviously didn't stick with our E names... Brock has had Sadie on his list of "acceptable" names for awhile and when we were sitting in the hospital room yesterday trying to decide a name he said Sadie Elise (elise was on our list as well) and it just felt perfect, it's her name and I love it, it's amazing how perfect it fits for some reason!

2 comments:

Trish-the ad-match Queen said...

WOW Britt! What a crazy story! I can't believe you were at a 7 and weren't in too much pain! And then how the epideral didn't kick in until AFTER!!! How terrible! But it still sounds like it wasn't the worst experience :). What a BEAUTIFUL baby Sadie is! Way to go Britt! I can't wait to hear more about motherhood of 3!

Kelly Jean said...

Ah, such a good birth story!! Bummer you had to pay for an epidural you didn't even really need :( But WAY TO GO! You must be way strong to go natural... that kinda terrifies me! So, great job!! And congrats, again, on your little GIRL! YAY!!! :)